To create, as a community, an open platform for education and protection of Android users against privacy and security threats.
OWASP Seraphimdroid is a privacy and security protection app for Android devices. It enables users to protect their devices against malicious software (viruses, trojans, worms, etc.), phishing SMS, MMS messages, execution of dangerous USSD codes, theft and loosing. Also, it enables user to protect their privacy and to control the usage of applications and services via various kinds of locks.
OWASP Seraphimdroid has two aims:
- To protect user’s privacy and secure the device against malicious features that may cost user money
- To educate user about threats and risks for their privacy, privacy of their data and security of their device.
Android users face many threats and risks. Since modern mobile devices are almost all the time exposed to the internet and other types of mobile networks, they are more exposed to the attacks. From the open WiFi networks that can be spoofed to the Trojan malware applications on the app stores, threats are everywhere around. Many of the attacks are successful because users are not aware of the risks and threats. They may act naive and expose themselves to the attacks even more. These attacks may lead to the identity theft, money theft, losing privacy or they devices may start acting as part of the botnet network.
In order to prevent attacks on the users, this project aims to develop a set of guidelines and application that will ensure that users are using their devices in a secure manner. Project is and always will remain open for everyone to participate and all project deliverables will be free and open source.
Project development is done on GitHub: https://github.com/nikolamilosevic86/owasp-seraphimdroid
Release of OWASP Seraphimdroid is available on Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.owasp.seraphimdroid
The aim of this project is to research all threats and risks for users of Android operating system. We want to develop, as a community an free and open source security and privacy protection application and a set of security guideline for Android users. The project tend to be research oriented and we are willing to innovate in Android security field using machine learning, heuristics and other innovative techniques in order to protect our users, their privacy and money. The project is community driven and everyone is open to participate. The main aim of OWASP SeraphimDroid application should keep user data and money safe.
So far the main features include:
- Permission scanner. Permission scanner will show you the list of all installed application and the permission they are using. Also app will describe potential malicious use of certain permissions. Seraphimdroid is using machine learning in order to predict whether application might be malicious (be a virus, Trojan, worm, rootkit, etc) or not and will notify the user.
- Application and service locker. With OWASP Seraphimdroid, user may lock access to certain or to all of your applications and system services (WiFi, network, BlueTooth) with password
- Install lock. This feature can lock all installing and uninstalling action on your device. Great for parental control.
- Outgoing call and SMS blocker. This feature will allow user to perform normally outgoing calls and SMS, but it will block outgoing calls and inform about outgoing SMS performed by trojan applications.
- Geo-fencing. This feature allows user to set a location range where the device should be. If the device exits the range it may set up alarm or start sending messages to the defined number with its location.
- Remote location. If user lost your phone, he is able to send SMS with a defined secret code as a content and his phone and it will reply with the location coordinates of the device.
- Remote lock and lock
- Network and CPU monitoring
GNU GPL v3 License (allows commercial use, but requires that modifications to your code stay open source, thus prohibiting proprietary forks of your project)
- (05.11.2019) We have participated this year in Google Summer of Code. The work done on dynamic malware analysis and anomaly detection on the device using deep learning is described in the following paper: https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1910/1910.10660.pdf
- (15.3.2017) We published a part of our machine learning methodology in Elsevier’s scientific publication: Milosevic, Nikola, Ali Dehghantanha, and Kim-Kwang Raymond Choo. “Machine learning aided Android malware classification.” Computers & Electrical Engineering (2017). http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0045790617303087
- (09.1.2017) OWASP Seraphimdroid was promoted to Lab project
- (28.8.2016) New version (v2.0) of OWASP Seraphimdroid is released on Google play store. Blog post about new features can be read here
- (10.7.2015) OWASP Seraphimdroid is participating at OWASP Summer Code Sprint 2015
- (2.10.2014) OWASP Seraphimdroid was featured on a front page and interview with a project leader was published in Libre!, Serbian online magazine about open source. Issue 29 of the Libre! magazine, where the interview was published can be seen here
- (5.9.2014) The first release of OWASP Seaphimdroid was released on Google play. Blog post about features can be read here
- (1.6.2014) OWASP Searaphimdroid participates on Google Summer of Code
- (2.2.2014) Article about malicious use of Android permissions was published by Digital Forensics magazine. This paper was a result of research conducted on OWASP Seraphimdroid project. Article can be viewed here
OWASP Seraphimdroid encourages students and University lecturers to contribute to the projects. We would like to encourage any BSc, 3rd year or master project ideas that would improve Seraphimdroid app. Project leaders are willing to co-supervise these projects. Please contact us if you are interested. At the end of the page are listed some of the potential project ideas, but we encourage you to send us your ideas as well.
Behavioral malware and intrusion analysis
OWASP Seraphimdroid is an Android mobile app which already has a capability to statically analyze malware using machine learning (weka toolkit) relying on permissions. However, this is usually not enough and we intend to improve this with behavioral analysis. There are a number of paper in scientific literature describing how to detect malware and intrusions by dynamically analyzing its behavior (system calls, battery consumption, etc.). The idea of this project is to find the best approach that can be implemented on the device and implement it. **
- Reviewing scientific literature and find feasible approach we can take
- Implement and possibly improve the approach in Seraphimdroid
- Test the model and provide controls to switch algorithm on or off and possibly fine tune it *Documenting approach as a technical report
- CSV, XML
- Basic knowledge and interest in machine learning
- Nikola Milosevic - OWASP Seraphimdroid Project Leader
Framework for plugin development
OWASP Seraphimdroid is well rounded security and privacy app, however, it lacks some components community can provide. We would like to provide community the way to develop plugins that can add features to OWASP Seraphimdroid app. However, the way of integrating external components into Android app may be challenge. The way of presenting GUI and integration between processes need to be examined and developed.
- Examining the way of integrating third party apps through some provided API to OWASP Seraphimdroid
- Providing GUI integration with third party components
- Develop at least one test plugin
- Document the development process and API
- CSV, XML
- Nikola Milosevic - OWASP Seraphimdroid Project Leader