Global AppSec Program Teams (DRAFT WIP)
Global AppSec events offer practitioners worldwide the opportunity to come together to share their passion and knowledge of OWASP, infosec, and appsec. Each event features presentations from experts in the field, networking events, and opportunities to share experiences amongst the infosec community.
The Conference Program Team exists to create an impactful program that speaks to appsec practitioners through high-quality learning experiences, exclusive opportunities, and innovative event elements. The goal is to establish Global AppSec Events as a must-attend, world-class event.
Conference Program Teams are constituted for each Global AppSec event and consists of members of OWASP members and staff. The selection of team members is based on subject-matter expertise and balanced representation of the OWASP community. For planning purposes, team members shall reside on the continent of the Global AppSec for which they serve. Teams are constituted no later than six months prior to the Global AppSec event.
Team members contribute via email and video conference, and are required to attend up to two face-to-face meetings throughout the program development process, as well as the Global AppSec Event. Terms are for one Global AppSec. Meetings are usually held on a fortnight cadence, with meetings potentially increasing in frequency as the Event nears. Team members can expect to spend approximately 2-10 hours per week on this commitment.
Finally, Team members will be asked to sign an agreement at the beginning of their term and are expected to abide by the agreement and OWASP Code of Conduct. Team members are not eligible to speak at the Global AppSec which they plan.
The Program Team will meet on a regular cadence, which will become meet more frequently as circumstances require. Team membership is a substantial commitment beginning prior to the Global AppSec and up to one-month post-event.
- Identify program themes
- Develop detailed timeline for submission and review process
- Promote the open call for submissions (training and papers) amongst subject matter experts and encourage submissions
- Recruit diverse group of session reviewers for approval and manage these reviewers
- Manage paper submission system
- Decide on grading criteria for submission
- Finalize review and session selection
- Create a final program of all accepted sessions including their scheduled day and time
- Onsite responsibilities vary but may include:
- Being present for the entire conference (Wednesday through Friday)
- Providing welcome remarks each morning
- Introducing keynote speakers and facilitators
- Providing closing remarks
- Recommend keynote speakers who align with the direction of the event
- Assist in promoting the Global AppSec communities, corporate contacts, and other markets
- Identify and make connections with potential corporate partners
OWASP Staff Support:
- Develop Speaker Acknowledgement Form
- Develop and send accept/reject letters
- Send and track receipt of Speaker Acknowledgement Forms
- Graphical design of conference including signage and print materials
- All event management logistics, budget management, website content, promotional items, site selection, catering, and venue
- Manage facility space allocation and programming layout
- Management of leader meeting and receptions
- All other Conference-related activities not explicitly delegated to the Program Team.
Team members will receive economy-class airfare, lodging, airport transfers, and meals for the Global AppSec for which they plan the program.
Program Team members are selected through a competitive application process. OWASP Staff will notify the community of the Program Team formulation, timeline for applications, and select the Program Team. Criterion for selection include:
- Former experience organizing similiar conferences
- Historical OWASP Community involvement and reputation
- OWASP Membership status and history
- Completeness of the application