Adopted by the Board on 20-Oct-2020
The OWASP Foundation is a member-led organization. Members serve as Board Members, Leaders, and volunteers for our community. Members have a vote in the election of OWASP Leaders. Membership is a privilege guided by the Code of Conduct, which has dues set by the OWASP Board of Directors are currently $50 per year. Discounts are available for multi-year memberships and for people living in developing economies and are outlined below.
Membership is explicitly defined as people or corporations that pay dues along with those granted by the Board of Directors. Nearly all OWASP activities are open to both members and nonmembers. Some example activities include participating in a Project or Chapter, attending chapter meetings, joining mailing lists or attending events. Merely participating in the activities of the OWASP Foundation does not make that person a Member; membership includes only those who pay dues to the OWASP Foundation.
Individual Members can check their Membership Status, renewal dates, and for auto-renewing Memberships update their billing information by visiting the Manage your Membership Form. Members must provide the email address used when applying for membership, and if a member matches that address, an email will be sent to verify or update membership.
Members in “good standing” are defined as those who have paid dues appropriate with their membership level while also not subject to any disciplinary action(s) by the OWASP Foundation. When determining “continuous” membership status, a grace period of seven (7) days is permitted between the expiration and resumption of a person’s membership.
While the Foundation will make diligent efforts to inform members of their membership - in particular expiration dates - it is the sole responsibility of the member to manage their membership and renewals.
Individual Membership Benefits
- Ongoing support of our mission
- Discounted conference and training fees
- Vote in OWASP elections
- Complimentary owasp.org email address
- Priority access to grants, awards, and scholarships
- Priority access to discounts and offers for training
- Access to partner events on a discounted basis
- Access to the OWASP learning platform, including OWASP projects and commercial offerings from our sponsors and partners
- Access to Membership benefits offered by our partners
- And many others
Becoming an Individual Member
Individuals can only become members of the OWASP Foundation by completing the Membership Form on our website and paying dues, and complying with the following conditions:
- Membership dues are to be paid by the Member and cannot be subsidized or funded by OWASP Projects, Chapters, or Events.
- Applicants must provide their country of residence, postal code, email address, name, and billing information. These details are subject to GDPR privacy protections, and the Foundation will not share private information without consent.
- Members are not attached to any particular Chapter or Project but are at-large members by submitting the Membership Form.
- Applicants consent to receive communications from the OWASP Foundation concerning membership status.
- Only qualifying individuals will be eligible for Complimentary, Regional, and Student Memberships.
- Once paid, Membership Dues are not prorated, nor can they be canceled once purchased.
The OWASP Foundation is the exclusive grantor of OWASP Memberships. No person or entity can act as a membership agent or grant Honorary or Complimentary memberships except for the OWASP Board of Directors.
The Foundation will revoke fraudulent membership submissions without notice and no refund. Memberships and member benefits are not transferrable.
Individual Membership Types
One or Two-Year Dues $50 and $95 for each respective period. Individuals can choose either a single or two-year membership. Members will begin to receive renewal email reminders as early as 60 days before renewal. The OWASP Foundation will do its best to notify members of impending renewals. It is the sole responsibility of the Member to monitor their membership status.
Developing Economy Discounted Membership Persons living in developing economies as defined in the lower 50% percentile Adjusted Net National Income Per Capita Countries, according to the World Bank, shall be offered a one-year membership for $20 per year.
Lifetime Membership When a member makes a time non-refundable $500 payment to the Foundation, they are granted a lifetime membership, which gives them all membership rights, including the ability to vote. Lifetime membership is subject to the OWASP Foundation’s code of conduct. The term of this membership terminates of death of the Member.
Student Membership Dues $20 per year. Full-time students may apply for this discounted membership. Student Members cannot auto-renew.
Proposed Complimentary Membership Individual Membership offered, dues-free, to established leaders in good standing who have contributed materially to the Foundation over an extended period (see below).
Proposed Honorary Lifetime Membership Lifetime Individual Membership, as described above, awarded by the Global Board of Directors (see criteria below).
Proposed Complimentary Annual Membership
This membership type (formerly known as Honorary Membership) is awarded at the discretion of the Foundation on a year-by-year basis to existing members in good standing for their contributions to the Foundation over the previous twelve months. Leaders do not need to accept complimentary leadership; retaining paid individual or lifetime membership is highly recommended for all who financially support OWASP’s mission.
The means to earn complimentary membership for the following year include:
- Chapter Leaders for running chapter meet-ups (per activity requirements set out in the Chapters policy and handbook);
- Project Leaders of active projects (ongoing contributions during the year);
- (Planned) Committee Officers of active committees.
The Foundation is developing the automated complimentary membership application process. Once deployed, active leaders can accept the complimentary membership using the standard “Join” or “Renew” OWASP form. Complimentary membership will not auto-renew, and leaders do not need to take it.
This section will be updated after a Board vote has been confirmed and the relevant automation deployed by the Foundation.
Proposed Honorary Lifetime Membership
The Board can award Honorary Lifetime Membership to long-time contributors to the OWASP cause and activities. The Honorary Lifetime Membership program will work as follows:
- The Board may grant up to three Lifetime Honorary Memberships per year.
- Nominations will be accepted by the Board from staff, Board Members, or other Leaders. Individuals cannot nominate themselves.
- Nominees will have been a Leader and Member of the Foundation for at least five years and have held more than one type of leadership role.
- Each nominee is confirmed by a majority vote of the Global Board of Directors each year at the October meeting.
Nominations for honorary memberships can be submitted here.
Becoming a Corporate Member
Organizations can also become members of the OWASP Foundation. Those details can be found on the Supporters page under Corporate Membership.